23 September 2014

Hiking for School


We were running around the boat getting everything ready for the hike. I was getting my school stuff ready in my back pack.
I had already gone on this hike with my family, but this time I was going farther, and bringing some friends.
We rode our dingings to shore and hopped on land. We walked with our friends to the beginning of the trail. They also had there school supplies, and my friends dad was a chemist so he taught fizicks. First we hiked threw the ant crazy zone where the ants just coated the floor and climbed up you. The ants made you stamp and and get all angry, but finally we made it to the top. Where there was a big rock that had a nice breeze, so we rested there. 

When we rested I had some coffee of my dads he brought a canteen of it. On the way down I found a good walking stick and sharpened the end into a point. The hike down was some what longer but better than the one up.
I was energized and there were tones of mangos so my stomach was full. We hike all the way down the other side of the mountain to the town. At the town there was a brown beach were we stopped for a little bit to play. But soon after we had to go do school so we packed up our bags and set off again. We hiked for 20 minutes to a big stone plat form. We sat down on the plat form almost immediately I started scratching my arms and legs then I said um guys can we move to do school theirs  lots a bugs here but my mom had thought ahead to this moment she held out a bottle of bug spray to me. I took it gratefully and sprayed it all over me. Unfortunately they had already bitten me and I was still scratching. So we decided to move on from that place.

We walked over to the sign were it said what there was to do in this place. Before we had experienced the bugs my dad had walked over here and depending on the sign had made an assignment for the kids. He explained that we had to write three questions about what were seeing. First we walked to a place called the tohua it was the old fashioned shop plaza it also had big stone plat forms were we guessed that the shops would be and maybe a few homes. We were told that these weren’t just shops they would also put on shows for the people of the town. At the end of the line of plat forms we saw an extra big one were we guessed the mayer would live.


After the tohua we went to the other sight to see the petroglyphs. A petroglyph is a carving of something that they would put into a rock. We walked for about five minutes then we reached the first one. It was a carving of a man who was doing something, but I couldn’t make out what it was. Then we moved on to the next one. I heard an intake of breath as someone realized that the rock in front of us was shaped as a turtle. We moved around it to see it better. There was also some petroglyphs on it. One was obviously of a mahimahi (a kind of fish.)  I started sketching the petroglyphs. One of my questions was how did they move those big rocks to form the shape of the tohua. We answered the question by doing our fizicks lesson on it.  After the fizicks we started back on our hike. On the way to the town we came across some puppys in somebody’s property they sooooooooo cute, we stopped for some time to pet them and fondle them. But we had to keep walking. At the town we ate a full lunch and played on the beach then it was time to hike back.

No comments: