27 June 2014

Bagels

Today we're making bagels, first time, from scratch.  It sounds hard, and it is, but I think it's worth it.

Like any bread type recipe, it starts the same, one big bowl, yeast mixture, let it sit.



 I followed instructions, adding flour and sugar and salt until I had a nice and sticky dough.


I let it rise in a greased and covered bowl for a while until it had nearly doubled in size.  Turning it onto a floured surface I kneaded it until it turned smooth and elastic.


I then seperated the dough into small pieces, kneaded them and punched holes in them then let them rise on a greased oven sheet.





When they were round and fluffy I dropped them into boiling water for 1 minute each side until they were bloated and greasy.  I then placed them back onto the greased sheet.


When all of them had been boiled I baked them on high heat until they began to brown.  We arranged them on a platter and had them for lunch, hot with butter.


No comments: