11 November 2013

Fishing

We left Curacao a few days ago and are just getting into Santa Marta.  Yesterday evening we were all still up and awake, when there was a tug on the fishing line!  So far we hadn't caught one fish in our sailing adventure, even though one passage we had trolled the line for 4 days! My dad reeled it in and for a while we could see it, skimming along the waves a few meters away.  My dad hoisted it onto our boat and we could see it was a black-fin tuna.  My dad butchered it and we put it away for another meal, wile we all settled down for the night.  

The next day my sisters and I were sitting around, my mom was sailing the boat, and my dad was taking a nap, when the fishing line suddenly gave a sharp jerk and an odd buzzing sound! my mom yelled for me and I yelled for y dad until everybody was in the cockpit and looking and the rod.  It was a deep sea fishing line and very hard to reel in, but what made it really difficult for my dad was not only the size of the fish,  although it was no skipjack, but the distraction that came at that moment.  My dad was in the midst of trying to reel in this huge fish when the other line let out a call!  My dad told me and my sister, Cleo to attend to that while he struggled on with the original fish.  Cleo and I wrestled the line back onto the spool, watching the beautiful fish jump through rainbows above the water, and finally succeeded in hauling a Mahi-Mahi (Dolphin fish) onto the boat.  



My dad left the fishing rod for the time being and helped us subdue the thrashing creature, calling my mom over to watch, but she was busy trying to clean up a coffee spill that was threatening to break the electronics that she had left on the helm-seat.  Through all this commotion the wind had sped up and the waves grown larger and larger until the boat was listing sickeningling to the starboard side.  I took pictures of the Mahi-Mahi and got my dads sailing gloves for him, ducking under the main-sheet every time I wanted to reach him.  In the end we lost the big fish but, thinking back on it, I don't think we could've eaten it anyway, what with the two other good-sized fish we had already caught on that passage.

No comments: