14 July 2013

Guest Post: Ode to Uncle David

Master Blaster


Who rules barter town? Masterblaster

The kids and I loaded no more than (but almost exactly) 500 lbs. of suitcases onto an airport trolley in Saint Martin and rolled it out to the short term parking lot to meet Paul. Paul, amazingly, even a shade or two tanner than the week before, pulled up in a white micro-mini car that is not even available in the US, has no trunk, and weighs barely 500 lbs. itself. The pile of luggage next to us is comically larger than the car. As the kids—not I—start to berate Paul's judgement, up strolls my brother, David, from a berm on the other side of the parking lot. He hugs us all, asks who wants to go for a ride in the new dinghy and relieves us of at least 350 lbs. worth of our belongings. Paul beams at me and slaps David on the back.


"Kids, if you hide up on the bow and read, your parents are less likely to find you."

After making the passage from Tortola with Paul, David agreed to spend the first three weeks of our trip with us on the boat. If he never gives me anther birthday gift for the rest of my life and saddles me with all our parents' eldercare, I still owe him. I do love having house guests and most of my favorite people live very far from me, so I have them frequently. That being the case, I think everyone will agree that there is generally a point in any visit, when it gets pretty easy to say goodbye. Whether that point is after 3 days or three weeks, it is inevitable and does not reflect on the enjoyment of the visit. My brother, is the only person in my life who belies that rule. At various times, he has 'visited me' for upwards of 3 months—and I loved it.

Uno

These three weeks were far too short. I can't imagine having to survive this transition without him. He is arguably the handiest person I know. Equally adept at engine repair and plumbing creativities as he is nimble with kids' games and cooking. In addition, he is a social lubricant. Those cruising friends I talked about? Did you think I made them? Found them? Charmed them? Wrong. It was David. I arrived and they were all warmed up and waiting for us.

Here's a shot of David putting Jade down for a nap. Oops.

David has a great rapport with all my kids. He revels in each of their idiosyncrasies and quirks. On this adventure, he took a special interest in Jade, the one he knows the least. He included her in a bunch of his tasks, showed her how to clean her berth, and shared her cabin. He also attempted to even the playing field among the sisters. He became her lifter, her reacher, her reader. In games of Marco Polo he tucker her under an arm. During school-work hour, he gave her assignments of drawing and writing. In return, she supplied him with copious amounts of cold beer. Every evening you'd see her checking the weight of his beer can and offering up another round at the appropriate moment. She also took his skin care on as a challenge. Sun screen was applied vigorously and frequently.

Sun screen application.

Overheard

David (to Paul and I): I have a secret. Kids love to line up. Shortest to tallest, then backwards, then about face. Especially when there's an inspection. Just a tip. (This has become very useful)

David: Jade have you seen Mad Max? You should; together we're master blaster. 

The bunkmates had a rough night. I'm not sure who fared worse.
Cleo: mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy
David: You kids need a diagram of facial expressions for your mother. It's clear to me that she is one degree away from exploding, but you don't seem to recognize that particular expression. I'll draw it for you so you can memorize it for when I'm gone. 

David: who wants to learn how to clean the bilge? Hello? Stella you're still here, come let me teach you something.
Stella: huh? Uh ok.

David: You kids need to stop wrestling at the table. You're knocking dishes over and someone always gets hurt. If you need to wrestle, go to your cabins and wrestle quietly to yourselves. 
Jade wrestling quietly to herself

David: All these other boats are just jealous of my little girl crew. They never get as good a coating of sunscreen on their backs.

Cleo: The deck is clean. Those are just stains.
David (whistling and looking away)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww... We love you guys. And Uncle David too.